BMWs are known as luxury vehicles known for high performance, and it is crucial to take the proper steps to avoid damage to your engine. It can be distressing when a light on your vehicle’s dashboard illuminates, signaling something is wrong. The check engine light can be an indicator for a large number of issues, some big and some small. Either way, it is important to have your vehicle inspected as soon as possible if the check engine comes on.
Flashing Versus Non-Flashing Illuminated Check Engine Light
The check engine light may illuminate in one of two ways: it may come on and stay on or it may be flashing.
If your check engine light comes on and is not flashing, then the cause is most likely not a serious issue, and you can continue driving for a short time. However, it is recommended that you have your vehicle inspected by a trained BMW mechanic at your earliest convenience.
If the check engine light is flashing, then the cause for the light coming is most likely a serious issue. If your vehicle is exhibiting poor performance or unusual sounds, then you should pull over safely and have your vehicle towed. If the check engine light is flashing, but the vehicle seems to otherwise be fine, consider pulling over to call an experienced auto shop and get their opinion on whether you can drive to a mechanic or need to be towed.
No matter what, it is important to have your vehicle inspected if the check engine light comes on. Even small issues can lead to bigger problems, causing more damage and costing you more money.
Reasons Your Vehicle’s Check Engine Light Might Be On
There are a wide variety of reasons as to why your vehicle’s check engine light may have come on. Below are some of the most common causes for your check engine light illuminating:
- Loose, Damaged, or Missing Gas Cap. The gas cap prevents fuel evaporations from escaping the fuel tank. It also seals the fuel tank to maintain pressure. The gas cap is one of the first things you should check for if the check engine light comes on. Make sure it is secure.
- Faulty Head Gasket. The head gaskets are located between the engine block and cylinder heads. If your vehicle has a blown head gasket, there may be an oil or coolant leak or the oil and coolant may be mixing together.
- Damaged Oxygen Sensor. The oxygen sensor measures the oxygen in your vehicle’s exhaust system. If this malfunctions and there is an excess oxygen in the exhaust system then it will lower your vehicle’s fuel efficiency. If not replaced, it could affect your vehicle’s catalytic converter and/or spark plugs.
- Malfunctioning Spark Plugs. Spark plugs play a critical role in making your vehicle’s engine run. If you are experiencing malfunctioning spark plugs, or spark plug wires, your vehicle will have a noticeably poorer performance and reduced power, or the engine may not be able to start at all. Malfunctioning spark plugs can also lead to other vehicle issues if not replaced when necessary.
- Transmission Issues. The vehicle’s transmission shifts gears to provide the wheels with the necessary power to move at a given speed. If your vehicle’s transmission is having issues, then you may experience vibrations and/or problems with accelerating. The transmission is a costly repair and needs to be serviced immediately when you suspect problems. This will ensure your safety on the road.
- Low or Dead Battery. The battery is crucial to starting your vehicle. If it is low or dead, then your vehicle may be slow to start or may not start at all. You can have the battery jumped to start it, but it is prudent to have a dying battery replaced so you aren’t stranded.
Corpus Auto Service
If your vehicle’s check engine light comes on and you are in need of an inspection and auto service, bring your vehicle to Corpus Auto Service. Our automotive technicians have expert experience with BMWs and will ensure that your vehicle receives the highest quality maintenance possible. You will return back on the roads with confidence in your BMW with excellent performance.
Our auto repair shop serves those in Portland, Rockport, Aransas Pass, Calallen, and Corpus Christi, TX. Call us today for an appointment.