One of the last things you want to happen on a hot day is to find the air conditioning system in your vehicle is no longer working. Just like other parts of your vehicle, the air conditioning system needs to be regularly checked and maintained to extend its life and performance.
Audis are some of the highest-performing vehicle brands on the market, so it is important to keep all of its parts, including its air conditioning system, in good shape to preserve its quality and comforts.
Importance of Regular Inspections and Service
While you may not schedule a regular service appointment for your vehicle’s air conditioning system, it is important to ask a mechanic to look over the air conditioning system any time you are having service done on your vehicle.
A regularly inspected air conditioning system can be given the maintenance and repairs it needs as soon as possible to avoid damage that may require more expensive repairs over time. Below are the following inspections and services you should have regularly:
- Have refrigerant levels inspected and refrigerant replaced as needed. If you are having your vehicle inspected for regular maintenance, ask the mechanic to also take a look at your air conditioning system, specifically the refrigerant levels. If it is recommended by the mechanic, have the refrigerant replaced.
- Have air and cabin filters inspected and replaced as needed. The air conditioning system has filters that keep pollen and other particulates out of the vehicle. Over time, these filters can become clogged. This reduces air flow into the cabin, leaves a foul smell, and creates a breeding ground for bacteria.
Having your air conditioning filters replaced regularly helps to protect the performance of the air conditioning system and your own health. Ask that your vehicle’s air filters are inspected when your vehicle is brought in for any service to ensure you replace them when it is needed.
- Professionally clean air conditioning system every two years. While there are things you can do yourself to help maintain your vehicle’s air conditioning system, it is recommended to have the whole system cleaned by professionals every other year to prevent buildup that may affect the system’s functions. They can also refresh the air conditioning system with refrigerant and lubricant.
How to Extend the Life of Your Air Conditioning System
Proper use of your vehicle’s air conditioning system can extend its life by reducing the stress on the system and the vehicle’s engine. Some of the way you can take care of your vehicle’s air conditioning system include:
- Run the air conditioning in your vehicle for at least ten minutes every week. It is important for you to do this in your vehicle all year long, even in winter, because it keeps the hoses, valves, and pumps in the air conditioning system well-lubricated. Additionally, it maintains the gas pressure necessary to keep the compressor working properly. During the winter, you can use the air conditioning system’s defrost setting to pull the humidity out of the vehicle and reduce the moisture on the windows.
- Avoid using the air conditioning too high, too fast. This can lead to wear and tear and overheating because the system requires more energy to rapidly cool down the vehicle without the system having warmed up. It is recommended that you start with a lower air conditioning setting and roll the windows down first to let fresh air in and hot air out.
- Recirculate the air in the vehicle. If the air conditioning system is consistently pulling hot air from outside into the vehicle, then it has to work extra hard to cool that air down. If you have the air recirculating then it can reuse the air that has already been cooled down.
- Avoid shutting the air conditioning off right after arrival. The ice cold air conditioning can cause condensation in the system if turned off right before leaving the vehicle. A sign of this is a puddle forming under the vehicle. It is recommended that a few minutes before your turn off the vehicle, if possible, turn off the air and leave the fan running at medium speed for a few minutes to dry out the air conditioning system’s evaporator and prevent mildew and bacteria build up on the system’s parts.
Corpus Auto Service
Whether your vehicle’s air conditioning system is in need of regular service and maintenance or is showing signs of needing repair, Corpus Auto Service can help keep your air conditioning system in top condition. Our expert automotive technicians have experience with Audis and other luxury brands, and can ensure your vehicle receives the best quality care. We serve those in Portland, Rockport, Aransas Pass, Calallen, and Corpus Christi, TX. Call us today for a convenient appointment.